the point of no return phantom of the opera meaning
Can you use a Metronome to tune a guitar? Without his help Raoul would never have succeeded in rescuing Christine. Edit, In the movie, Christine was born in 1854 and died in 1917. What does the rose on the grave at the end mean? in the stage show, he "magically" makes Carlotta sound like a frog and laughs maniacally when Carlotta starts croaking. (This mirrored room was put in the movie as a reference to the Phantom's torture room in the Leroux novel.) In the book Erik, when he firsts brings her to his home, explicitly confesses his deceit to her and admits that he is not an angel nor a ghost, but only a man, and that he loves her. | The movie heavily implies that he did, in fact, escape and survive. We didn't want his disfigurement to be horribly grotesque. ", instead of after "The Point Of No Return" as in the movie. By keeping your hand at the level of your eyes, you create a space between the noose and your neck, allowing you to escape and render the rope useless. | | Edit, Several characters from the book are changed or completely excluded in the Webber version. His disfigurement is far more extreme than in the Webber version: he is extremely skinny and looks more like a withered corpse than a living man. The stage show and movie take place in the fictional "Opera Populaire" whereas the book takes place in the Palais Garnier, the home of France's National Academy of Music, in Paris. Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. But in the book there was no avenging mob to escape; he simply dies of a broken heart, several weeks after releasing Christine and returning the ring he had given her, which she lost as she kissed Raoul on the roof. I'm singing this for an opera benefit concert, I haven't been to the performance for almost 6 years so I'm a little dumb to the story also. A life cast was made of Butler's face, from which gelatin prosthetics were created and then applied during a four-hour process.However, fans have pointed out that in that time period, far worse deformities would have been seen every day on the street, ranging from skin diseases to combat-related injuries to birth defects. The Red Death costume on stage has a full skull mask with moving jaw, a big red fedora with a plume, and is generally a much more ornate and theatrical costume than seen in the film version, complete with cloaks and a staff. The movie version is set in a set which looks like Hades and has a Latin feel.The Phantom is far more deformed in the stage version than in the movie. You have Christine, the gifted chorus girl. User Ratings Joseph Buquet, whom he hangs later on in the movie and musical (in the book his body is discovered in the first chapter), describes his face with "Like yellow parchment is his skin. Still have questions? However, in the stage musical and this movie he is simply known as The Phantom. We want the audience to see his attractiveness, his anger and his vulnerability. In the theatre the ghost is the person who pays the wages. I sort of know the entire story (I'm a little dumb to theses types of things) but I'm trying to figure out the real meaning of the song 'The Point of No Return'. What is the significance of the music box? Edit, The music box was something the Phantom made for himself (suggested from the toy he had at the gypsy freak show). Christine then joins in on the song, answering his questions. Other adaptations have used other reasons (burns and acid, for example). In the book, he is a white stolen prize stallion from the Opera Populaire stables called Cesar.In the movie, the Phantom has a lair next to a lake, from which huge candelabras arise. Edit, PTO means "Please Turn Over". Once inside it appears to be a perfectly normal middle-class apartment, albeit without any windows. In the original play, Don Juan thinks he can do as he pleases, with plenty of time to repent and be forgiven before his death. A fiery pit opens and the statue drags Don Juan down into Hell, with no time to repent. Edit, Yes. In the book, Erik's underground home is hidden in the outer wall of the lake, five stories below ground. In the movie, the ages are all shifted to be much younger than in the book or on stage. When she encountered a jar that belonged to Epimethius, she could not resist learning about its mysterious contents, and so she therefore opened it. or Christine or whatever? Say you'll want me with you here, beside you. ? The third act of the Shaw play, frequently presented alone as "Don Juan in Hell" is the Shavian notion of what the main characters, Juan, Ana, and the Commander might discuss with the Devil. https://poto.fandom.com/wiki/The_Point_of_No_Return?oldid=2099. Meg is her daughter, but is only a simple ballet girl and has no connection to Christine. From the Q&A with Joel Schumacher on the official website: Even though the make-up in the stage show is grotesque, and very much a copy of the Lon Chaney make-up, I felt the audience is smarter than a lot of obvious prosthetics. She does so, hears the music, and leaves the cemetery; she is unaware that Raoul has followed her, and knows nothing of the (much briefer) confrontation between him and Erik, in which Raoul simply gets a brief glimpse of his unmasked face before he is knocked out.Erik's disfigurement is a birth defect in both the book and film. There is no such confrontation in the stage version. In turn, makes her ask only one question: "When will their relationship blossom and when will they become one?" Once there, she revives and becomes perfectly lucid. Don Juan has made more than a thousand sexual conquests, but while preparing to seduce Doña Ana, he is discovered by her father, the Commander, who challenges him to a duel. Edit, In this version, "This face which earned a mother's fear and loathing" is a birth defect, as in the original Leroux novel. There are no flamenco dancers in "Don Juan" / "The Point of No Return" in the stage version as the scene is set in a banquet hall with the cast wearing traditional costumes. As soon as it's sung, Firmin turns the note over. This jar contained all of the evils, which were then released into the world. What is different between the movie and book. Some could argue that perhaps they were looking into a mirror and thus had a reversed reflection. Also, a reprise of "Notes/Prima Donna" that takes place after "Masquerade" was edited down and then rearranged throughout the movie, as were many other "Notes" scenes. During "Down Once More"; he sings, "This face that condemns me to wallow in blood has also denied me the joys of the flesh." Edit, That was a judgement call on the part of the production team. The chandelier drops after "All I Ask of You" at the end of Act 1 on stage, directly after the lyric "all that the Phantom asked of you! Mme. Thanks to all who help me. Why does the Phantom's hair change color? means "When will we be paid?". She tells him that she is not denying their passion and that she believes they cannot go back as well because their passion for each other cannot be right or wrong. The Phantom is crying, devastated. When will the flames, at last, consume us? Why does Christine kiss the Phantom at the end? * In the stage version of the cemetery confrontation, the Phantom conjures up lightning and shoots fireballs from his staff instead of sword fighting with Raoul. Anyway, I too was a bit confused by the ending of The Phantom of the Opera the first couple times I saw it. However, it is far more extreme.At the end of the book, unlike the musical, there is no doubt that "Erik is dead." * The mirrored room beneath the staircase is not featured in the stage musical. In the musical's "Think of Me", the backdrop falls, but it doesn't actually hit Carlotta as it does in the 2004 film, it just frightens her. Then, she leans toward him and embraces him again. In the musical, the costumes are simplified, more ballgowns than costumes, and primarily black, white, and gold, giving it a more orderly and elegant effect. Metacritic Reviews. It played for Christine when she woke up in the Phantom's lair, and it played for the Phantom after he let Christine go. I did not want to bring you 'Freddy Krueger Goes to the Opera!' Per the screenplay, regarding Raoul: "Although fifteen years younger than Mme. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Specifically mentioned are two bedrooms, a dining room and an ensuite bathroom. I've been asked to sing the song, 'The Point of No Return' from Phantom of the Opera and I've rehearsed it over and over again, and what I'm trying to understand is... what is the message of the song? User Reviews I hear "flames" and "past" and "seduction" and all of these random words.. right when I think it's about something, I change my mind. In the musical, he is given a back-story (albeit briefly) much closer to that in the book, of a man who has traveled widely for much of his life and who helped to actually build the opera house. In his lair, he has a shrine for Christine, a small room containing the wax figure of her wearing a wedding dress and veil, his bedroom with a kind of bowl shaped bed with burgundy bedding, and an area with his organ, drawings of Christine and the sheets of music he composed. Edit, It means the Phantom is still alive and still loves Christine. Edit, There is only one ring, the ring Raoul gave to Christine. Edit, Raoul and Madame Giry. She responds by removing the Phantom's mask, so that the entire audience can see his deformed face. * In "Don Juan Triumphant," the Phantom does not wear a stylised Latin outfit but instead wears a cloak completely over his body and head. External Reviews Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime. I hear "flames" and "past" and "seduction" and all of these random words.. right when I think it's about something, I change my mind. A great black hole serves as the nose that never grew." In the movie, he drops through a hole in the floor and Raoul follows him with a sword. According to the scene description in the script during the final lair scene - "He holds up the ring he tore from her neck." At one other point (in the very beginning) she does faint, but it is after her first performance when the audience overwhelms her with their applauding; she awakens in her room to unexpectedly find her childhood friend, Raoul, with her. In the musical, there is no horse in the scene where the Phantom leads Christine to his underground lair. In his unmasking in the reprise of "All I Ask Of You", his black wig comes off, revealing the deformity of the skin on his head, cheek and forehead, especially his eye. Andrew Lloyd Webber has written a sequel called Love Never Dies. Because of the gifts of the gods, Pandora was very attractive—her name even means "all gifts". And Mme Giry, in the book, is not the ballet mistress, but the keeper of various boxes, including the Ghost's own: Box Five on the Grand Tier. In the stage version, Raoul presents his plan to trap the Phantom during his opera in front of all of the main characters, causing a scene in which Carlotta accuses Christine of plotting the whole Phantom hoax for her personal gain and Christine refuses to go along with the plan. Why aren't Michael Crawford or Sarah Brightman in this film? Edit, The Phantom has access to many costumes, wigs, make up, and prosthetics, which can be seen in his lair. for the trap, it is set and waits for its prey. Edit, No, he isn't. The "Daroga," a retired Persian cheif of police, has followed Erik to Paris from his native land and regards it as his duty to mitigate Erik's bad behaviour. How long he has done so in the stage musical is not explicitly stated but seems to have been for a much shorter time. Explain.. Would you start practicing drums at age 30+? Edit, Everyone in the movie does their own singing, except for Minnie Driver as Carlotta, who was dubbed by Margaret Preece; she had previously played the role on stage in London.

Books On Short Term Trading, Amd Radeon Hd 6450 4k Resolution, Stag Hunt Game, Long In The Tooth Idiom In A Sentence, Amber Alert Md, Electrical Lighting Symbols, Venom Skateboard, Poe Awakened Melee Physical Damage,